Tuesday 19 July 2011

Something Beginning with L.... 'Beautiful Ground'


It is always a little strange to write about music by people you know, but this is our blog, and we can say whatever we like, and if there is a platform where I can talk about this band, then I feel like I should use it. I don’t want to talk about the circumstances of its release, but suffice to say, I am delighted it has found its way out. ‘Beautiful Ground’ is an appropriate title. It is certainly beautiful, but it is the word ‘ground’ that interests me, this space that artists use to site their work. We talk of people ‘breaking new’ or ‘treading old’ ground, but in this case it feels like a declaration, a band planting their creative feet somewhere. Somewhere beautiful and saying, ‘we are here’. I take it for granted that all three members of SBL are exceptional musicians, the songwriting displays an earnest, bright-eyed honesty rarely found amongst many of their peers. This record is one of those that stands out as ever so slightly different from most, and this is what I think (for what it’s worth) that is; there is an almost ungraspable sense that everything on this album is in some way precious. Each song seems to have a fragility like something tiny kept inside a locket for years that the band graciously open up for you to see. Even when it’s loud it’s like this, as though the girders of a tower block were held together with a spider’s silk. I really can’t recommend this record enough, so please get it and enrich yourselves. I would like to think that if you opened up the three heads that make up this band, you would find the most intricate clockwork entirely powered by sensitivity.

lynch(ed)

No comments:

Post a Comment